A team of RCI Certified Special Educators work with our children at WARDS.
- • Individualized Education Program (IEP) is prepared for every child which spells out a child’s learning needs, goal setting, how progress will be measured and a plan.
- • We provide various services like Individualized learning, one-on-one supportand learning aids.
- • Academic Curriculum involves Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, Colouring, Fine and Gross Motor Activities, Story Telling, Concepts like, money, time, etc., Communication skills (Expressive and Receptive Language).
- • Non-Academic (Functional Academic) Curriculum involves Pre-Vocational Activities like Gardening, Social Skills, Self-help Skills - grooming, Ironing clothes, folding clothes, buttoning, tying lace, basic cooking, personal hygiene, table manners, eating habits, domestic chores, shopping, organising etc.
- • Children are encouraged to participate in all competitions held for special needs children like painting, drawing, dramatics, quiz etc.
Vocational Training is being provided in the following skills:
- • Weaving
- • Handicrafts
- • Candle making
- • Paper covers
- • Envelopes
- • Block printing
- • Paper plate making
- • Chalk making
In collaboration with CGI IT Company and Amba Training Centre (who are specialized in training intellectually challenged children) we have a fully quipped Computer Lab. Our Special Educator trained with Amba Training Centre trains selected children in Digital Skills with the aim of providing employment to these children in future.
Individual Sessions are taken for children who cannot fit in the classroom environment. They are trained individually for a while in academics and non-academics activities before including them in the classroom.
A nutritious snack (like Sprouts, Chana, Raagi porridge etc.) at 10.30 AM and Mid-day meals at 12.15 PM is provided every day to all children and staff at WARDS. The meals are prepared in the WARDS premises with great care for hygiene and quality.
We provide assistance in getting Aadhar cards, Disability Certificate, Psychiatric Assessments, Scholarships, Railway Concession, Niramaya Scheme Enrolment, Pension Scheme Enrolment etc. We assist the parents in filling forms, taking appointments, and guiding them with the procedure.
As a part of this our Special Educator takes classes 5 days a week for children with learning disability at various government schools. These children also receivephysiotherapy and speech therapy services according to their needs.
Our Outreach Team also visits various Government hospitals and primary health centres for identifying children requiring help. Our Staff goes on a survey with a community worker to nearby areas and we identify intellectually and physically children who cannot come to school regularly due to their health issues . Our Outreach Team visit their houses periodically to provide Special Education and Therapy based on their assessment. Parents of these children are also given counselling.
Selected children get trained in various sports like Foot Ball, Basketball, Kabaddi, Running, Long Jump and at WARDS. Our Physical Trainer and a Special Educator accompanies them for various inter-school fests and marathons in Bangalore and also in other places.
We have few Adults who cannot fit into a class-room environment. A Special Educator and a caregiver engage them in various activities during the day and provide care for them during school hours.
Parents are given counselling regularly and specifically when the need arises. A Psychologist volunteers at WARDS for this cause.
Children enrolled in this program are taught basic day-to-day necessities like grooming, Ironing clothes, folding clothes, buttoning, tying lace, basic cooking, table manners, eating habits, domestic chores like sweeping, mopping, dusting, cleaning dishes etc. According to age, ability and interest.
Children are encouraged to interact with each other during class activities or play time, learn to take care of each other and practice appropriate social behaviour.
Speech and language goals developed for each child are integrated into the classroom setting besides the speech therapy sessions.
Children are allowed for free play, exercise, sports, outside games and recreational activities like watching movies in Auditorium.
HOLISTIC TEACHING AND LEARNING
At WARDS Special School we make sure a balance is sought for every child by integrating teaching and learning in his or her social life.
The goal of Physical Therapy is to help each child to move as much as possible and experience movement. Physical Therapy also helps with balance, posture, strength, independent safe movement, coordination, range of motion and mobility. The therapist works with each child on a consultation basis and interacts with the teachers and staff to ensure that movement and strengthening are part of the child's daily routine.
The goal of Speech Therapy varies according to the child’s requirements and abilities. Speech and language therapy involves language stimulation and production of speech and focusses on improving Quality of Voice, Oral Motor Skills, Receptive language, Articulation, Fluency Expressive language and Social skills.
Occupational therapy concentrates on skill development in an activity-based setting. Therapeutic intervention is used to develop those underlying skills important for learning like Fine motor coordination, Sensory-motor processing, Visual motor and visual perceptual skills and Activities of daily living.
Music can have a dramatic effect on people with special needs. Music can stimulate both hemispheres of the brain simultaneously and aids in improving cognitive activity and self-awareness so that someone with autism can interact more effectively with others. Music can help people with cerebral palsy to receive important cognitive benefits leading to improvements in dexterity, fine and gross motor function, concentration, alertness, and the reduction of muscle tension. Individuals who struggle with ADD or ADHD can benefit from music for Impulse control. We perform music therapy in small groups.
- • General Health Check-ups: A general physician visits WARDS twice in a week for general health check-up for all our children.
- • Psychiatric evaluation: Periodic visits are scheduled for the children with our Psychiatrist. Parents and the respective teacher accompany the child for these visits.
- • Dental and Eye Exams: Periodic health camps are conducted in WARDS premises for dental and eye exams for children. The children are further referred to other hospitals for treatments or surgeries if required. We work with the hospitals to help the parents arrange for the surgeries and treatments.
- • Counselling: A Psychologist provides counselling for children and parents whenever required to help
- • Surgical interventions: If any child requires any surgery, we assist the parents in raising funds for the surgery.
- • We have camps on our premises for Dental and Eye Exams.
- • Yoga: Our children do yoga daily as part of our curriculum.